Friday, October 23, 2015

Chocolate Buttercream Icing

Hey all,

I absolutely adore all things chocolate!! Chocolate ice cream, chocolate coffee, chocolate cake, and especially chocolate icing!!

 I know you're probably like get to the point already, so here it is. I've always had trouble making buttercream icing. Now the icing that's just powder sugar and milk I could make when I was 7, but up until this past year buttercream always gave me a hard time. It was either too soft that it wouldn't hold its shape or so stiff that I couldn't spread it, and other times it was just wrong.



 
Then I found this recipe. It was amazing!! I used the recipe a few times until I got a feel for the right proportions for how much icing I wanted to make.
 

The pictures aren't so good because I wasn't making a lot, sorry. To get the best chocolatey flavor use a good coco powder. I use a Dutch coco powder which is the best! However any brand/type of coco powder will work just as well.


When I make the icing now I usually don't measure anything, but I have come up with a recipe for you.

Buttercream Icing: makes about 2 cups
1-cup butter room temperature
3-4 cups powder sugar
1/4 cup coco powder
about 1/4 cup milk
1 pinch of salt

Beat butter until smooth and add coco powder, salt and half of the powered sugar. Mix until smooth scraping the edges of the bowl as needed, add the rest of the powder sugar and a splash of milk. Mix until fully incorporated then beat on medium high speed until fluffy*. Test the thickness and spread-ability of the icing and adjust it to your liking, add more milk to thin it out and more sugar or coco to thicken it.

*this step is what makes the icing, it should almost double in size and be fluffy.

Hope you enjoyed this post, and know that getting buttercream icing right is like riding a bike once you learn how to do it, it's easy-peasy.

Keep it sweet,
K.

No comments:

Post a Comment